Saturday 30 June 2012

PUNS!

One needs a strong command of English to understand PUNS! 


The pun, also called paronomasia, is a form of word play which suggests two or more meanings, by exploiting multiple meanings of words, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect.[1][2] These ambiguities can arise from the intentional use and abuse of homophonic,homographicmetonymic, or metaphorical language. 
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun



"A Play on Words"
Using a word or words that have more than 1 meaning.
Examples:
1. Our social studies teacher says that her globe means the world to her.

2. Sir Lancelot once had a very bad dream about his horse. It was a knight mare.
3. A dog not only has a fur coat but also pants.

4. Today I've got a pressing engagement. I must go to the cleaners.

5. I work as a baker because I knead dough.

Did you get the double entendres? I hope that you had fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outstanding Results from Primary 4 (2023) Student

Student, TKSJ, has been with me for several years and I am proud to see him becoming more mature and more willing to work extremely hard for...